Wilmington VA Medical Center
Current Operating Status
As of Monday, July 6, 2020 10:12 AM EDT
Our medical center and five Community Based Outpatient Clinics (CBOC) in Delaware and southern New Jersey remain open, safe and are ready to care for your medical needs. As we move forward in providing care, please understand that we have made changes to promote safety in our facilities. We continue to implement and practice enhanced safety measures, including physical distancing, masking and limiting the number of patients utilizing waiting room space to keep you and our staff safe.
If you plan on coming to our medical center or CBOCs, please help us protect our Veterans and staff by following the requirement of anyone entering must wear a face covering or mask. Please call ahead to notify us of your health care needs at 1-800-461-8262, select Option 2. During this time, we want to discourage “walks-ins” and prefer that all care be scheduled during Phase 1 of our Moving Forward Plan.
Specific hours and services for our medical center and each CBOC can be found below.
Wilmington VA Medical Center
- Our main medical facility remains open for routine, outpatient services Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. Our emergency department, inpatient care and Community Living Center remain open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and fully ready to meet your emergent health care needs.
- If you need to access emergent care at any time call 911. If you have questions about your care outside of normal business hours, call 1-800-461-8262 and press 0 to speak with the Wilmington VA Medical Center night operator, who will be able to assist you Monday – Friday after 4:30 p.m., weekends and holidays.
- Primary Care Provider (PCP) appointments are available Monday – Thursday from 12 – 4:30 p.m.
- Laboratory work is available Monday – Friday from 7:30 a.m. – 12 p.m.
- For urgent health care concerns, call 302-633-5336.
- PCP appointments are available Monday, Tuesday and Thursday from 12 – 4:30 p.m.
- Laboratory work is available Monday – Wednesday from 8 a.m. – 12 p.m.
- For urgent health care concerns, call 302-633-5206.
- PCP appointments are available Monday - Thursday from 8:30 a.m. – 3:30 p.m. based on provider availability.
- Laboratory appointments are scheduled Monday – Friday 7:30 a.m. – 10:00 a.m.
- For urgent health care concerns, call 302-633-5466.
- Laboratory work and scheduled face-to-face appointments will be open Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
- For urgent health care concerns, call 302-633-5216.
- All services are available by appointment Monday – Friday from 7:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
- For urgent health care concerns, call 302-633-5226.
During this pandemic, we have relied more on virtual care than ever before. Feedback has been very positive, and we encourage you to continue to utilize virtual care as necessary to continue to receive health care. Please call 1-800-461-8262, select Option 2, to make virtual appointments. We also encourage you to contact us using secure messaging through MyHealtheVet. More details on how you can coordinate care through safe, secure web-based messaging can be found on the next page.
Please schedule all your appointments including blood work and x-rays prior to coming to any of our facilities. To promote safety, we continue to discourage walk ins and ask that you please contact us via phone at 1-800-461-8262, select Option 2, so we can better coordinate your care. We will gradually increase service capacity during each phase as we move forward.
If you need appointments in more than one clinical area, we will try to schedule them on the same day in order to prevent multiple trips to our facilities. Please contact the facility at the above number to consolidate your all your appointments.
To ensure the health and safety of our Veterans, staff and visitors, we’re currently following CDC guidelines and limiting visitors for patients receiving care at Wilmington VA Medical Center. Limiting outside visitors helps us protect older Veterans and those who already have health issues.
If you want or need a family member or friend to be a part of a scheduled health care visit, please let us know ahead of time so we can safely prepare for their participation. We do make an exception for Veterans who qualify as an end-of-life "compassionate case."
Secure Messaging is a safe and secure web-based messaging service. Secure Messaging allows you to:
- Ask non-urgent, non-emergency health related questions.
- Update your VA health care team on your health condition.
- Request VA referrals and medication renewals.
- Manage your VA appointments.
- Ask routine administrative questions.
- More information can be found at www.myhealthevet.va.gov.
There are several ways you can request refills your prescriptions without having to come into one of our facilities.
- Online: You can use My HealtheVet at www.myhealthevet.va.gov to refill your VA prescriptions and view your VA prescription history online.
- Mail Order: Medication refills can be requested by mailing the refill notice provided to you at the time of your original fill.
- Telephone: Call our Automated Refill Line at 302-633-5484.
More information about or pharmacy services can be found on our website at www.wilmington.va.gov/services/pharmacy.
We apologize for any inconvenience, but our number one goal is the safety of our Veterans, staff and the community. We will continue to monitor the situation and will do whatever is necessary to ensure your health and safety while balancing the vital mission of providing exceptional health care to our Veterans.
You can read VA’s latest information on the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) at https://www.publichealth.va.gov/n-coronavirus/.
|Wilmington VA Medical Center||Normal Hours|
|Cumberland County CBOC, New Jersey||Limited Services|
|PCP appointments are available Monday - Thursday from 8:30 a.m. – 3:30 p.m. based on provider availability. Laboratory appointments are scheduled Monday – Friday 7:30 a.m. – 10:00 a.m. For urgent health care concerns, call 302-633-5466.|
|Atlantic County CBOC, New Jersey||Limited Services|
|Primary Care Provider (PCP) appointments are available Monday – Thursday from 12 – 4:30 p.m. Laboratory work is available Monday – Friday from 7:30 a.m. – 12 p.m. For urgent health care concerns, call 302-633-5336.|
|Cape May County CBOC, New Jersey||Limited Services|
|PCP appointments are available Monday, Tuesday and Thursday from 12 – 4:30 p.m. Laboratory work is available Monday – Wednesday from 8 a.m. – 12 p.m. For urgent health care concerns, call 302-633-5206.|
|Sussex County CBOC, Delaware||Limited Services|
|All services are available by appointment Monday – Friday from 7:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. For urgent health care concerns, call 302-633-5226.|
|Kent County CBOC, Delaware||Limited Services|
|Laboratory work and scheduled face-to-face appointments will be open Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. For urgent health care concerns, call 302-633-5216.|
- Emergency: 911
- Veterans Crisis Line: 1-800-273-8255 (Press 1)
- 24 Hour Nurse: 302-994-2511 or
- Change Your Appointment: 1-800-461-8262 x5451
- Media Inquiries: 302-633-5389 or
- National Veterans Helpline: 1-800-507-4571
- Patient Locator: 302-994-2511 or
- Pharmacy Refill: 302-633-5484 or
- Staff Locator: Not Available
- Telephone Care: 302-994-2511 or