Wilmington VA Medical Center
Diabetes Education and Management
One-to-One Diabetes Self Management Training Sessions
Veterans trying to gain better control of their diabetes can meet with Bernardine Henderson NP, CDE, our Certified Diabetes Educator. Your primary care provider can set up an appointment or you can schedule an appointment yourself by calling (800) 461-8262, ext. 4630.
- What is diabetes?
- What to do to keep yourself healthy.
- Meal planning.
- Diabetes medications.
- Testing your blood sugar and what the numbers mean.
- Foot care, sick day care and much more.
Your primary care provider may schedule an appointment for you at the Endocrine Clinic if you need help getting your blood sugars under control. Dr. William Jaffee is a physician with special training in endocrine disorders including diabetes. He is board certified in endocrine and metabolic disorders. Dr. Jaffee sees patients in the outpatient and inpatient areas. Your primary care provider can make an appointment for you with Dr. Jaffee if you think it would be helpful.
Other Diabetes Services
- Eye Doctors
- Podiatrists (Foot Doctor)
- Social Workers
- Telehealth Program
- Exercise program advice
Other Information Concerning Diabetes
- American Diabetes Association
- The National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases (NIDDK)
- National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion
For your convenience, a Blood Sugar Logsheet is available for you to print at home and fax to Ms. Henderson or Dr. Jaffee.
- Wilmington VAMC
- 800-461-8262 Ext. 4630
Hours of Operation
- By Appointment Only