Prosthetics & Sensory Aids Service - Wilmington VA Medical Center
Attention A T users. To access the menus on this page please perform the following steps. 1. Please switch auto forms mode to off. 2. Hit enter to expand a main menu option (Health, Benefits, etc). 3. To enter and activate the submenu links, hit the down arrow. You will now be able to tab or arrow up or down through the submenu options to access/activate the submenu links.

Wilmington VA Medical Center


Prosthetics & Sensory Aids Service


Our Prosthetics Staff is ready to helpThe Prosthetic Department provides equipment and training for custom assistive equipment or external devices to improve function and increase independence in your activities of daily living. To utilize these services, you must be enrolled in the VA system and your VA provider must request prosthetic consult and provide proper medical justification for need. 

We offer a variety of services including, but not limited to, custom fabricated artificial limbs and braces, hearing aids, eyeglasses, oxygen and respiratory equipment, blind aids, communication devices, hospital beds, blood pressure monitors, orthotic shoes, wheelchair and equipment, automobile adaptive equipment, and home improvement and structural alteration (HISA) grants. If you have any questions about these services, discuss them with your friendly prosthetics team. Our hours of operation are 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. daily except holidays.

  • Amputee Clinic Team - Your VA Primary Care Provider will refer you to the clinic.
  • Brace Clinic Team - Your VA Primary Care Provider will refer you to the clinic.
  • Aids for the Blind (VIST) - You can speak with Sharleen Dass at
    302-994-2511, ext. 4960.
  • O2 Coordinator - You can reach the Pulmonary Department at
    302-994-2511, ext. 4520.
  • Automobile Adaptive Equipment Program - If you are rated by the VA Regional Office for a service-connected loss of a hand, arm, foot or leg or the loss of use of a limb you may be eligible for assistance through the Automobile Adaptive Equipment Program providing you meet at least one of the following criteria: Application for Adaptive Equipment (Motor Vehicle)
    • You are service-connected for the loss or loss of use of a limb
    • You are service-connected for alkalosis of the knee or hip
    • You are currently enrolled in the Vocational Rehabilitation Program and equipment is necessary for your program and educational needs.
    If none of the above applies to your condition, you are probably not entitled to this assistance. For further information or to apply for a grant, contact the VA Regional Office at 1-800-827-1000.
  • Clothing Allowance - You may be entitled to a yearly clothing allowance if you wear or use a prosthetic or orthotic appliance because of a service-connected disability and the use of such device tends to wear out or tear clothing. Or if you use a medication prescribed by a physician for a service-connected skin condition and the use of this medication causes irreparable damage to your outer garments. If you would like to apply for a clothing allowance, fill out an Eligibility Determination for Clothing Allowance.
  • Prosthetics representative Warren Lingham talks to a Veteran about sensory aid assistance.Medical Equipment - Your VA Primary Care Provider will either write a prescription or refer you to Rehabilitative Medicine for an evaluation of your particular needs.
  • HISA (Home Improvement and Structural Alterations) - Click here to access more information concerning the HISA application, frequently asked questions, applications and forms, and guidance for Veterans and contractors.
  • Home Oxygen Program - Oxygen will be provided only if your doctor determines that your medical condition meets certain medical criteria.
  • Orthopedic Clinic - Your VA Primary Care Provider will refer you to the clinic.
  • Post-mastectomy Supplies - The Women's Health Clinic will refer you to the Prosthetics Department for Post-mastectomy supplies.
  • How to get Wheelchairs and the Wheelchair Clinic Team - In 911 cases, your Primary Care Provider will refer you to the clinic. The Wheelchair Clinic Team will evaluate your specific wheelchair and seating needs and develop a prescription to meet those needs. Scooters and power wheelchairs are not issued to Veterans to make life easier or more convenient outside of their home. They are not issued from a prescription written by a non-VA physician. Scooters and power wheelchairs are only issued after certain strict medical and practical criteria have been met. If you feel that your medical condition is such that you need a scooter or electric wheelchair, talk with your Primary Care Provider.
  • Can I get eyeglasses from the VA? - Your Primary Care Provider will refer you to the Eye Clinic if you need eyeglasses.
  • Can I get hearing aids from the VA? - Your VA Primary Care Provider will refer you to the Speech Pathology and Audiology Clinic if you need hearing aids. They will determine if you meet the criteria for hearing aids.

Other Important Links

Contact Info


  • Wilmington VAMC
    Ground Floor, Room 201

Contact Number(s)

  • 800-461-8262 Ext. 5343

Hours of Operation

  • Monday thru Friday
    9:00am to 3:00pm