Wilmington VA Medical Center
Wilmington VA Medical Center offers a variety of health services to address the unique needs of Women Veterans. The Women Veterans Health Center focuses on wellness education, preventive health treatment, disease management, and the emotional well being of women Veterans. Our goal is to offer women quality healthcare in a concerned, compassionate, and comprehensive manner throughout their life span.
The Women Veterans Health Center
The Wilmington VA Medical Center Women's Health Clinic is located on the 3rd floor of the medical center and offers a full range of preventive care and treatment services for women of all ages. Patients are assigned to a provider in the Women's Clinic, who can provide a comprehensive history and physical examination on the initial visit, and then ongoing care, including gender-specific women's exams.
Our Community Based Outpatient Clinics located in southern Delaware and New Jersey also provide primary care and specialty services to Women Veterans. If well women's examinations are not available in the clinics, patients are referred to Wilmington VAMC for their well women's examinations.
Healthcare for Women Veterans is available for both inpatients and outpatients. Additionally, Women Veterans who need long term care or home health services may access them through their VA physician's referral to Geriatrics & Extended Care Service.
Exams & Services:
- History and physical, including pelvic exam & breast exam
- Menopause symptoms and treatment
- Family planning and contraceptive care
- Infertility evaluation and referrals
- Maternity care referrals
- Assessment for heart disease, high blood pressure and stroke risk
- Tobacco use cessation counseling
- Sexual trauma referrals
- Flu and other vaccines
- Social work referrals
- Medication therapy education
- Referrals for other services as needed
- Screening for:
- High blood pressure
- Breast cancer or fibrocystic disease - Mammograms
- Cervical cancer - Pap test
- Colorectal cancer
- High cholesterol
- Sexually transmitted diseases
- Nutrition and dietary needs
- Psychosocial issues that impact your health
Women's Specialty Services at Wilmington VA Medical Center
The Gynecology Clinic provides special services including minor surgical procedures for treatment of women's reproductive disorders. Gynecologic oncology for treatment of cancers of the female reproductive organs is provided by referral.
Mental Health Services are available for treatment of many conditions, including depression and anxiety. An individual comprehensive treatment plan is developed with the patient. Referrals are made as needed for specific issues, including military sexual trauma, eating disorders, substance use and post traumatic stress disorder.
We invite Women Veterans to take advantage of our special programs. Your active and vocal participation in the health care process is important to our success. We value the opinions of Veterans and want to listen and respond to your health care concerns.
For Women Veterans, VA is Here
Women Veteran Program Managers are available at each VA Medical Center nationwide to assist women Veterans and coordinate services. Women Veterans who are interested in receiving care at VA should contact the nearest VA Medical Center.
Women Veterans are assigned to a designated Women’s Health Primary Care Provider who can provide general primary care and is specially trained or experienced in women’s care.
Whole Health - It's All About You
VA’s Whole Health System offers women Veterans proactive and personalized health care—empowering you to achieve your greatest level of health and well-being. Whole Health means the Whole You. From integrative health approaches like stress reduction, nutrition, and health coaching, to traditional clinical care and complementary health approaches—your journey to Whole Health starts here.
Proactive, integrative health approaches such as:
- Health coaching
- Mind-body therapies and stress reduction
- Nutrition and weight management
- Peer support and community resources
- Programs to stop spoking
- Physical therapy and chiropractic services
You will be at the center of a Patient Aligned Care Team (PACT). A provider, nurse, and others will engage with you to manage your health care.
- Primary care: includes general medical care for acute and chronic conditions, such as chronic pain, high blood pressure, and diabetes
- Preventive care: includes immunizations and cancer screenings, such as mammogram, Pap, and colonoscopy
- Gender-specific care
- Birth control
- Family planning and preconception counseling
- Maternity and newborn care (first 7 days after birth)
- Osteoporosis screening and management
Gynecology Health Services
Evaluation and treatment for:
- Abnormal Pap test
- Abnormal uterine bleeding
- Pelvic pain
- Gynecologic cancers
Evaluation, counseling, and treatment for:
- Depression, mood, and anxiety disorders
- Alcohol and drug use and addiction
- Coping with illness
- Intimate partner violence/sexual and domestic abuse
- Military sexual trauma (MST)
- Parenting and caregiver concerns
- Posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Stress adjustment from deployment
- Management of chronic or complex conditions, including heart disease, diabetes, cancer, and fibromyalgia, as well as HIV/AIDS and hepatitis
- Surgery programs available at most Medical Centers
- Rehabilitation, homebound, and long-term care VA referrals are given to those in need of rehabilitation therapies, such as physical therapy, occupational therapy
VA referrals are given to those in need of rehabilitation therapies, such as physical therapy, occupational therapy, speech-language therapy, exercise therapy, recreational therapy, and vocational therapy.