Wilmington VA Medical Center
Wilmington VA Medical Center offers a variety of health services to address the unique needs of Women Veterans. The Women Veterans Health Center focuses on wellness education, preventive health treatment, disease management, and the emotional well being of women Veterans. Our goal is to offer women quality healthcare in a concerned, compassionate, and comprehensive manner throughout their life span.
The Women Veterans Health Center
The Wilmington VA Medical Center Women's Health Clinic is located on the 3rd floor of the medical center and offers a full range of preventive care and treatment services for women of all ages.ã€€Patients are assigned to a provider in the Women's Clinic, who can provide a comprehensive history and physical examination on the initial visit, and then ongoing care, including gender-specific women's exams.
Our Community Based Outpatient Clinics located in southern Delaware and New Jersey also provide primary care and specialty services to Women Veterans. If well women's examinations are not available in the clinics, patients are referred to Wilmington VAMC for their well women's examinations.
Healthcare for Women Veterans is available for both inpatients and outpatients. Additionally, Women Veterans who need long term care or home health services may access them through their VA physician's referral to Geriatrics & Extended Care Service.
Exams & Services:
- History and physical, including pelvic exam & breast exam
- Menopause symptoms and treatment
- Family planning and contraceptive care
- Infertility evaluation and referrals
- Maternity care referrals
- Assessment for heart disease, high blood pressure and stroke risk
- Tobacco use cessation counseling
- Sexual trauma referrals
- Flu and other vaccines
- Social work referrals
- Medication therapy education
- Referrals for other services as needed
- Screening for:
- High blood pressure
- Breast cancer or fibrocystic disease - Mammograms
- Cervical cancer - Pap test
- Colorectal cancer
- High cholesterol
- Sexually transmitted diseases
- Nutrition and dietary needs
- Psychosocial issues that impact your health
Women's Specialty Services at Wilmington VA Medical Center
The Gynecology Clinic provides special services including minor surgical procedures for treatment of women's reproductive disorders. Gynecologic oncology for treatment of cancers of the female reproductive organs is provided by referral.
Mental Health Services are available for treatment of many conditions, including depression and anxiety.ã€€An individual comprehensive treatment plan is developed with the patient.ã€€Referrals are made as needed for specific issues, including military sexual trauma, eating disorders, substance use and post traumatic stress disorder.
We invite Women Veterans to take advantage of our special programs.ã€€Your active and vocal participation in the health care process is important to our success.ã€€We value the opinions of Veterans and want to listen and respond to your health care concerns.
Our Women Veterans Program Manager advises and advocates for women Veterans. She can help coordinate all the services you may need, from primary care to specialized care for chronic conditions or reproductive health. VA health care for women Veterans includes:
- General care includes health evaluation and counseling, disease prevention, nutrition counseling, weight control, smoking cessation, and substance abuse counseling and treatment as well as gender-specific primary care, such as cervical cancer screens (Pap smears), breast cancer screens (mammograms), birth control, preconception counseling, Human Papillomavirus (HPV) vaccine, menopausal support (hormone replacement therapy).
- Mental health includes evaluation and assistance for issues such as depression, mood, and anxiety disorders; intimate partner and domestic violence; sexual trauma; elder abuse or neglect; parenting and anger management; marital, caregiver, or family-related stress; and post-deployment adjustment or post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).
- Military Sexual Trauma (MST). Women-and men as well-may experience repeated sexual harassment or sexual assault during their military service. Special services are available to women who have experienced MST. VA provides free, confidential counseling and treatment for mental and physical health conditions related to MST. More information is available about MST from the national Women Veterans Health Care program and the VHA Office of Mental Health.
- Management and screening of chronic conditions includes heart disease, diabetes, cancer, glandular disorders, osteoporosis, and fibromyalgia as well as sexually transmitted diseases such as HIV/AIDS and hepatitis. Reproductive health care includes maternity care, infertility evaluation and limited treatment; sexual problems, tubal ligation, urinary incontinence, and others. VA is prohibited by legislative authority from providing either in-vitro fertilization or abortion services.
- Rehabilitation, homebound, and long-term care. VA referrals are given to those in need of rehabilitation therapies such as physical therapy, occupational therapy, speech-language therapy, exercise therapy, recreational therapy, and vocational therapy. Homebound and long-term care services are available as well, limited to those meeting specific requirements.